In December of 1938 the small school of Melrose, at the foot of Colbert Mountain, burned. Interim classes were held at Colbert Heights Baptist Church while the new school located at the present site of Colbert Heights High School was built. The name was changed to Colbert Heights upon completion of the new facility. Beginning in 1964 a grade was added yearly until the school contained grades one through twelve. In 1980, a kindergarten was added.
The Colbert County Board of Education began building a separate elementary school at the present location on Sunset Drive in 1983. The school began serving grades K-six in the fall of 1984. A gymnasium was build in 1987. Eight new classrooms were added in 1994 to accommodate students and faculty from the closing of Littleville School.
Colbert Heights Elementary School began a Pre-K program in 2008. This program was funded by the State of Alabama's OSR office. The program was continued through 2010. Beginning the 2011 school year, the OSR office funded a second classroom. CHES now has 2 Pre-K classrooms with a total of 36 students.